Liposome Research Days 2021
June 13-16, 2021
Liposome Research Days (LRD) conferences are held bi-annually and focus on the science and application of lipid-based structures. Topics range from basic studies on lipid nanoparticle systems, including formulation, structural and biophysical studies, to clinical applications.
Attendees come from around the world, including from Canada, China, England, Germany, Israel, Japan, the Netherlands and the United States. The conference offers unique networking opportunities for everyone interested in liposome research — from undergraduate students to the leaders of this field.
Lipid nanoparticle systems are now the leading drug delivery systems worldwide, with more than 10 systemically administered products approved by regulatory authorities to treat diseases ranging from cancer to inherited diseases.
Those who attend the 2021 LRD conference will learn about leading-edge research that is enabling the next generation of pharmaceuticals — nanomedicines.
The first LRD conference was held in 1990 at the University of Florida in Gainesville. Its founding organizer was Dr. Hans Schreier.
LRD conferences have since been held in Leiden, The Netherlands (1992); Vancouver, British Columbia (1994); Freiburg, Germany (1995); Shizuoka, Japan (1996); Lez Embiez, France (1998); San Francisco, California (2000); Yokohama, Japan (2008); Hangzhou, China (2012); Copenhagen, Denmark (2014); Athens, Greece (2017); and Sapporo, Japan (2019).
Past LRD Conferences
The 2021 LRD Conference will attract world experts in liposome and lipid nanoparticle (LNP) nanomedicines—academics, trainees, collaborators and industry—to:
- Highlight the remarkable progress being made using lipid-based structures, from basic science to therapeutic applications.
- Foster networking and collaborations that will lead to new knowledge, clinical translation and commercialization.
- Summarize current applications of nanomedicines to the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of COVID-19, and approaches enabling rapid responses to future pandemics.
Topics of Interest for the 2021 LRD Conference Program are:
- Targeted Delivery of Small Molecular Drugs (including targeted chemotherapy)
- Gene Therapy (including gene silencing, gene expression, and gene editing applications)
- Immunotherapy (including mRNA-based vaccines)
- Diagnostics (including imaging)
- Lipid Nanoparticle Synthesis and Characterization (including biophysical characterization)
Program details to follow soon.
Day 1 (Friday, September 13, 2019)
- An introduction to NMIN, the NanoMedicines Innovation Network, and an update on its activities since it was awarded NCE funding on April 1, 2019;
- Expert panel discussions on the three research and innovation thrusts of the NMIN Network, including opportunities for collaboration and training within each: Targeted Drug Delivery, Nanomedicine for Enabling Gene Therapies, and Diagnostics;
- An overview of NMIN’s Core Facilities: the NanoMedicines Formulation and Characterization Core Facility (NanoCore), and the Pharmacology, Toxicology and Scaled Production Core Facility (PharmaCore);
- Presentations by key industry partners on gaps in skills/expertise, employment opportunities, scientific priorities, and recent discoveries in this sector;
- Informational sessions with CIHR and NSERC representatives; and
- A networking reception & dinner with the leading researchers and innovators in the field, featuring guest speaker Neal Boerkoel.
Day 2 (Saturday, September 14, 2019)
- Panel discussion: Lessons from the School of Hard Knocks: Establishing a company to protect and develop your IP – Why, When, How and Who can Help?
- A workshop on best practices in IP identification, disclosure, protection: proven strategies for optimizing IP patent protection & commercialization opportunities; and
- Discussion of NMIN’s research program, projects, priorities, partnerships and performance-based evaluation processes; its potential to enhance Canada’s global leadership in nanomedicines.
Additional information to be added as details are confirmed.
Everyone is welcome to attend Liposome Research Days 2021.
To complete your registration, you will be required to pay a registration fee to help cover the costs of your participation.
NMIN Board/RMC member (non-investigator):
one day $150, both days $275
one day $150, both days $275
one day $250, both days $375
one day $350, both days $475
NOTE: Registration, travel and accommodation costs will be covered by NMIN for NMIN Board and RMC members (those not on a project application), and for invited speakers and guests. PIs on NMIN project applications currently under review, and up to two additional members of their research teams, will be able to recover the cost of their participation from their project budgets, once approved/released, or otherwise directly from NMIN.
Please register by September 4, 2019
Registration will be available shortly.
Please check back soon.
LRD 2021 will he held at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Venue details will soon be announced.
NMIN’s 2019 Scientific Meeting was held at:
North Tower, Third Floor
Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
1088 Burrard St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 2R
The Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre, in the center of the downtown district, features the iconic One Wall Centre, its North Tower, one of Vancouver’s most extraordinary buildings, and is a short distance from attractions including Stanley Park, Yaletown and Robson Street.
We invite organizations that share NMIN’s enthusiasm for the enormous potential of liposome and lipid nanoparticle (LNP) nanomedicines to consider partnering with us as event sponsors for Liposome Research Days 2021.
We offer various levels of sponsorship to ensure the best fit with your organization’s marketing, outreach and networking objectives.
Please review the sponsorship opportunities in our prospectus.
If you are interested in sponsoring, or have any questions, please contact:
Dr. Diana Royce
Executive Director, NMIN