NMIN Trainee Symposium
The 1st Annual NMIN Trainee Symposium will provide NMIN trainees and members of the NMIN HQP Network (NHN) with unique value-added professional development opportunities, allowing for skill and knowledge acquisition to enhance career development and complement academic and scientific training.
The Symposium will also foster networking and collaboration among trainees and young professionals who share an interest in the field of nanotechnology-enabled drug delivery, gene therapy and diagnostics.
The date of this event is TBD. The originally planned date is under reconsideration due to concerns related to COVID-19.
To be announced
Day 1 (Friday, September 13, 2019)
- An introduction to NMIN, the NanoMedicines Innovation Network, and an update on its activities since it was awarded NCE funding on April 1, 2019;
- Expert panel discussions on the three research and innovation thrusts of the NMIN Network, including opportunities for collaboration and training within each: Targeted Drug Delivery, Nanomedicine for Enabling Gene Therapies, and Diagnostics;
- An overview of NMIN’s Core Facilities: the NanoMedicines Formulation and Characterization Core Facility (NanoCore), and the Pharmacology, Toxicology and Scaled Production Core Facility (PharmaCore);
- Presentations by key industry partners on gaps in skills/expertise, employment opportunities, scientific priorities, and recent discoveries in this sector;
- Informational sessions with CIHR and NSERC representatives; and
- A networking reception & dinner with the leading researchers and innovators in the field, featuring guest speaker Neal Boerkoel.
Day 2 (Saturday, September 14, 2019)
- Panel discussion: Lessons from the School of Hard Knocks: Establishing a company to protect and develop your IP – Why, When, How and Who can Help?
- A workshop on best practices in IP identification, disclosure, protection: proven strategies for optimizing IP patent protection & commercialization opportunities; and
- Discussion of NMIN’s research program, projects, priorities, partnerships and performance-based evaluation processes; its potential to enhance Canada’s global leadership in nanomedicines.
To be announced…
Additional information to be added as details are confirmed.
You must be an NMIN HQP Network (NHN) member to be eligible attend NMIN’s Trainee Symposium.
NMIN Board/RMC member (non-investigator):
one day $150, both days $275
one day $150, both days $275
one day $250, both days $375
one day $350, both days $475
NOTE: Registration, travel and accommodation costs will be covered by NMIN for NMIN Board and RMC members (those not on a project application), and for invited speakers and guests. PIs on NMIN project applications currently under review, and up to two additional members of their research teams, will be able to recover the cost of their participation from their project budgets, once approved/released, or otherwise directly from NMIN.
Please register by September 4, 2019
Registration will become available once this event is re-scheduled.
Please check back.
NMIN’s 1st Annual Trainee Symposium will be held at:
Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel
801 Dixon Road, Toronto, Ontario M9W 1J5
This recently renovated hotel is a short distance from the many shops of CF Sherway Gardens, Royal Woodbine Golf Course and International Centre. Arrive from nearby YYZ quicker through a complimentary shuttle service. Includes a 24-hour fitness centre and indoor heated pool.